Thursday, August 26, 2010

The water cycle ... must be stopped!


In homeschool news, we're still working on our weather unit.  'E' is for evaporation!  (By the way, 'D' was for dew, not death.)




I wanted to do an experiment to demonstrate evaporation, but Gabe wanted no part of it!




He said, "But I don't want the water to get out of those jars!"




So I explained the water cycle.  Water evaporates into the air, goes into the clouds, and then it rains ...




"But I don't want it to rain!!"




So, this is what schooling is like when your child's first reaction to every new concept is angry opposition!




I tried to explain to Gabe that most of the evaporation occurs from oceans and other bodies of water, and that he is unfortunately powerless to stop the water cycle.




Later Joe came over, and the two of them took these pictures goofing around with Max.




They had a good time ...




... but it always has to be stopped when Max isn't having fun anymore!




I checked this out and am going to see if I can glean any good ideas ...  Gabe must be as strong-willed as they come.




In the meantime, the earth is still spinning, the seasons are passing as usual, and the water cycle is still in effect ... for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment