Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The healthiest diet.


I've put a great deal of effort into discovering the healthiest diet.  And I feel pretty confident that I've found it!



Before I found out about my cancer gene, I knew a little about the vegan/vegetarian thing (mostly because Dan had gone through a vegetarian period), and I knew it was probably very healthy.  The best thing for your body, for the animals, and for saving the planet.  But like most, I chose not to go there, because it was too hard, too foreign ... I've seen this diet described as draconian.  Also I was under several misconceptions.



I think I've got it figured out now.  It makes perfect sense.  The perfect diet we were created/evolved to eat derives most calories from ...



... starch!  We should be eating a diet of whole grains ...



... legumes (not necessarily a whole pantry full of canned beans) ...



... vegetables ...



... and fruits.  Everything else should be consumed in small/condiment-sized portions.  The closer to nature the better.



We were not made to consume added oils.  These are not found in nature, and are too caloric, fatty, and not at all nutrient-dense.  (Basically, if something has to be processed, we were probably not meant to eat it.)  Small amounts of fat can be found in all the foods listed above.  



Cow's milk is not good for you, even though I too was brainwashed into thinking it was!  Drinking the milk of another animal is not natural.  Cow's milk is the perfect food ... for baby cows, who need much more protein and fat than we do, so they can grow very quickly into animals that weigh hundreds of pounds!  There is so much wrong with cow's milk that I won't even get started on it.  I don't want to make anyone mad, but let's just say that I'm passionate about this.  There is almost not one single good thing about it (unless you are a starving person and can't get adequate nutrition any other way).  Soy and almond milk are okay in small quantities.  And I drink them because they're yummy and adaptable as substitutes.  (By the way, nuts come in hard shells for a reason.  And the recent protein craze is way-overemphasized.)




These are the two supplements I take.  DHA/omega 3s derived from seaweed (where the fish get them from), because I am breastfeeding.  And B12 because it is naturally derived from the soil/bacteria, and we can't count on finding it on produce at the store.



I don't expect to convert anybody.  I can't even get my own family on board (although I'm working on it) ...



Just wanted to share what I've found because I am excited and passionate about the potential that we all have to live longer, healthier lives.  

(Now, I won't talk about it anymore.)

No comments:

Post a Comment