As much as I'd like to sugar coat things and forget it, that's what today is to me.

Here's Max this morning, waking up. He opens his eyes, starts to get up, falls asleep again, starts getting up again, falls asleep again ...

We started out doing homeschool, as usual.

Gabe was so excited about the possibility of getting his toys in the mail that we took three walks today. (The first two times we went the mail had not arrived yet. The third time it was finally there.)

Apparently there was a wreck out on 2920 headed to 290, and a few frustrated motorists turned down our dirt road looking for an outlet. (We need a sign that says "Dead End.") I gave directions to one of them.
Mom drove up to us in the truck, bringing Joe home from school, and stopped at the mailbox. Gabe was so excited to show them his toy that he was running to get in. He started to enter on the safe side, then took off running by me for the other side of the truck.
At the same time an old guy in a silver car chose to risk going off the shoulder to barrel past this truck surrounded by children and pedestrians.

I hollered at Gabe to stop, but he didn't stop right away. Holding Max I scuffled after him, grabbed him by the arm, and detained him as this a$$hole sped by.

Gabe keeps saying, "Can we quit thinking about it now?" But we can't. Not yet. We have to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. I will not permit Gabe to get into a vehicle while we're on our walk anymore. I don't know how I'll feel about taking our walks anymore ...

The rest of the day was uneventful. Here's Buddy with Ian and Maya.

Maybe Someone was smiling down on Gabe today.

Or maybe we create our own luck. In any case, I feel shaken and don't want to take my eyes off him now. I hope to never have to post about something like this again!
No comments:
Post a Comment