Monday, May 23, 2011

Crockpot red beans.


CROCKPOT RED BEANS
(Here's one way to enjoy dried beans without added oils or animals.)

1 lb. dried red beans
3 cups water
1 bunch green onions
7 cloves garlic
1 celery rib
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cup parsley
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T Tabasco sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1.  Soak beans overnight.  Drain and rinse.  Place in slow cooker with 3 cups water.  Cook covered on low for 3 hours.
2.  Add everything else.  Mix well.  Cook covered on low for 7 more hours.

Makes 7.5 cups at 185 cal/cup

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serve with brown rice.

I like to eat them with pico de gallo.  I posted my recipe for that last year HERE.

I also like to put Adobo seasoning on them.  

If you want sour cream on them, you can use this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOFU SOUR CREAM

1 10.5 oz package tofu (soft or firm, doesn't matter)
2 T lemon juice
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp agave or honey
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all in blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment