Okay, of course nearly all drinks (except milk) are vegan.
And, of course water is the best and most natural drink.
But, if I want to have a yummy drink while avoiding soda, sugar, and caffeine, I make one of these!
STEVIA TEA
(Use any tea. I use non-caf green tea because I love it. I'm not sure if it really fends off cancer.)
Directions: Make a pitcher of tea as usual, but use herbal tea and a tablespoon or two of stevia powder instead of sugar. Stevia has a slightly planty aftertaste (because it is extracted from a plant), but is very delicious when you get used to it. It's not very caloric at all, and doesn't raise your glycemic index like sugar.
STEVIA LEMONADE
(For this I use either fresh lemons or the jug from the store.)
Directions: Fill a large glass with water. Put in a little lemon juice and about half a dropper full of stevia extract. Yum!
Of course, soy milk, almond milk, and rice milk are also great vegan drinks! You can get them sweetened or unsweetened. Soy milk has a lot of fat, though (4g/cup). Almond milk has less (2.5g/cup). Rice milk has very little fat but is highly caloric (I think 120 cal/cup)!
Well, today I didn't cook a main dish because we have lots of leftovers. Instead I made bread and a big salad. But here's the soup recipe I made on Sunday! (Oil-free vegan!)
VEGETABLE-BEAN SOUP
7 cups water
1 can vegetable broth (or 2 more cups water)
6 oz can tomato paste
1 T fat free Italian dressing
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 large zucchini, chopped
1/2 package mushrooms (4 oz.), chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
1 15 oz can green beans, drained
1 cup dry whole wheat macaroni
salt to taste
Boil all vegetables in broth/water for a little while, then add macaroni and canned stuff and continue boiling till veggies are tender and macaroni is done.
Makes 17 cups of soup with about 81 calories/cup.



No comments:
Post a Comment