Been thinking about my BRCA1 mutation lately, and borrowed some pics off another blog.
I don't feel that alarmed about breast cancer right now, though ... I feel like I'm getting good surveillance on that front.
Reading about Myriad, and their patent. Myriad legally owns the BRCA1 gene mutation, and therefore they can be exclusive providers of the genetic testing and charge whatever they want for it. Also, they have the right to prevent anyone from doing research into a cure! Anyone who might want to help us will have to ask Myriad's permission and no doubt lose a hefty percentage of their profits to Myriad, because they have been allowed to obtain this patent.
The ACLU is trying to overturn these patents. Someone is fighting for us.
The next generation deserves better answers and alternatives.
Dad is now working to connect our driveway to the sidewalk running across the yard.
I'll have some difficult decisions to make pretty soon. It's a fog of uncertainty that obscures my dreams about the future. I know so many people at risk for or affected by cancer that it accounts for most of my prayers every night. But praying is not enough ... trying to find more things I can DO!







No comments:
Post a Comment