Too bad Max's first dental appointment couldn't be under better circumstances. I was too focused on the situation to take any pics (and anyway, my computer chewed up all but four of the pics I did take today). The dentist said Max has "genetically bad teeth" and also probably a "virulent" strain of the bacteria that cause cavities.
He has two cavities. They are in the exact same place on either side of his mouth, which I think is evidence for the theory of a weakness in his teeth.
They recommend fixing the cavities, which would involve him being given some "conscious sedation," then basically held down for the 15 minutes it takes to fill the cavities. I know (from experience with Gabe) the inadequacy of conscious sedation. (Gabe's first dentist tried this on him but still found him too uncooperative to perform the procedure. They gave up, sent him back home home and recommended general anesthesia! But then, that was Gabe.) Or, we could wait ... and try fluoride, xylitol, and wiping his teeth all the time, and hope that the damage doesn't get so bad that it requires a more involved procedure. Blah!
So anyway, this was just about the news we expected. Buddy went with us to the dentist, and he told her we would "watch, wait, and meditate," which I think about sums it up. In the meantime, Max will have no more juice, and no more sugar!
Gabe is feeling better today ... I feel like I could be in the prodromal phase of an illness, and still pretty anxious about Max's teeth and the decision we have to make. Blah! I'll write a better post tomorrow.




No comments:
Post a Comment