I'll try to make this the last post about A&M!
Max enjoyed the H2O fountain.
The same fountain where I used to stop and use the campus phone to call Dan to pick me up after class sometimes (no cell phones at that time!). (Photo from 1997.)
Texas A&M is a university steeped in traditions that its students seem to believe in deeply. (This is the Century Tree, under which marriage proposals are supposed to happen.)
Which actually made it an odd fit for me ... someone who, while very interested in other cultures and traditions, prefers to sit back and watch and evaluate them objectively, instead of really taking part. Yes, I guess I was a "two percenter," one of the supposed two percent of students that do not get caught up in the Aggie spirit. Not in any real personal way.
I think I have spent my adult life searching for truths independent of culture, tradition, or other people's beliefs.
This is a major similarity Dan and I share ... although it does not make for an easy life, I think ... not fitting into a mold, and always reinventing the wheel.
Max, too, seemed to be marching to the beat of a different drummer ...
He didn't want to be carried the whole time, but also refused to stay on the path!
The kids were impressed with the tame squirrels all over the campus.
We watched this one crack open an acorn from right up close!
Walking down University Drive ... most things are the same, but there are more buildings and restaurants.
Alberstons appears to be closed, and apparently Olive Garden burned down ... We had eaten there once with Brian and a girl we were trying to set him up with ... I don't even remember her name now, only that he didn't like her!
Okay, now, did I say this would be the last post about College Station? Well, I lied! I still have some more pictures and stories leftover to tell. Tomorrow's post will be the last for sure!














No comments:
Post a Comment