Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Quiet Hill Ranch, part 4.


On DAY 2 we drove to ...



... Enchanted Rock!



It was more crowded than I remember from when I was a kid.  The pathway started out easy ...



... and then got steeper!  (There weren't many other families carrying 2-year-olds up the rock.)



We encountered this rattlesnack who looked like he'd just had a meal!



Maya scaled the rock with ease.  (Good thing, because we couldn't have made it carrying her!)



It sure was windy at the top!!



Dad was the only one of the "old folks" to make it all the way to the top.  We had lost Mom and Yomare ...



I was afraid one of the kids would fall off a steep edge.



Heading back down ...



... we found Mom and Yomare, who had decided at this point that they'd climbed high enough.



Reunited with Grandma!



I suddenly realized that if there was anywhere I should be using the panorama function on my camera ...



... it was here!



Heading back down was easy.



At the bottom we decided to split into three groups so some of us could explore while others could shop and take naps ...



Brian and Dad led the "discovery" group that stayed at Enchanted Rock.  



This group included the three older kids.  (I could have cropped Dad in the bathroom out of these shots, but I thought it'd be funnier this way.)




More comedy -- Gabe pretends to sit on a cactus.



Dan, Max, and I were our own group, with a mission to visit Downtown Fredericksburg for lunch and then head home.



Mission failed:  Max would not sit down at the table at the restaurant.  Also, he would not go into any stores.  So Daddy ate the lunch we ordered while I carried Max around for 45 minutes.  Aren't babies fun?



When we got back to the restaurant, the "discovery group" had shown up, apparently already tired out from discovering things and ready to eat.



Got "home" and put Max down for a nap.  Then I finally had a break to have a snack and read my trashy true crime novel.  Oddly, the killer's hometown was a town we had passed along the way!



Here's a video taken climbing the rock, while the old people were still visible behind us!







No comments:

Post a Comment