Thursday, November 18, 2010

Guns, bombs, and Thanksgiving.


We had our homeschool co-op Thanksgiving party today!  I told everyone the story of the first Thanksgiving, mixing in Spanish vocabulary, and using a felt board with pictures for cues.  Then we sang the colors song and the counting song (yes, with the "inditos!"), and each kid colored a picture of something to bring to Thanksgiving dinner.  We counted all the items in Spanish, identified what color they were, and made sure to say "gracias" to everyone!



The "feast" was at Alycia's house.  When the neighbor's dog came to harass the kids eating outside, Alycia's son said, "Come on, Mom, shoot him!"



And that she did.  Ha!  It must not have hurt too bad, though, because it only deterred him for about ten minutes before he came back around for seconds!



Here's Gabe, watching in amusement.




The kids made turkeys out of candy.



Unbelievably, I saw that when they were giving instructions, Gabe was actually really paying attention!!



And then just when I decided that maybe chocolate was the missing ingredient whenever I'm giving him instructions ... he surprised me again.  As soon as they told the kids they could eat the turkeys ...



Gabe ran back upstairs to see this toy again instead.  In fact, he never even asked to eat the chocolate.  Instead, most of the rest of his visit was spent coveting this toy, talking about it, and showing it to everyone!



Back at home, after Max's nap, we took our walk to the mailbox.  I told Gabe he looked like the Unabomber.



Which led to a quick explanation of who that was, which led to a discussion about bombs.



When we got to the mailbox, Gabe was surprised to find a package from his Korean pen pal Henry.  He was hoping for a toy ...



But I warned him that it couldn't be a toy, because the package description read "cookies."  Gabe asked, "What if it said 'bomb?'"



Thankfully, it was not a bomb.  It was a letter from his little Korean friend inside a whole box full of Korean cookies and candy!  There were some Korean-brand Oreos and some KicKers (which must be what they call Kit Kats).  Good haul!  Now poor Gabe will have to be burdened to write him back!


No comments:

Post a Comment